FAQs on Topic Moderation
How does topic moderation work?
When a new topic is submitted discussion it goes to a team of moderators who are responsible for reviewing new forum topics and answering the question: "Would this topic make a good addition to the current body of discussion?" If the forum moderators can answer 'yes' to that question, the topic is approved and goes online for discussion. If not, the suggested topic is declined an explanation (generally) sent to the user.
Will I be notified if my topic is declined?
Usually, if your topic is declined you will receive a brief explanation and/or suggestion(s) for revising your topic. You may receive a message similar to one of the following:
"I'm sorry, but the topic you suggested has been declined for the following reason(s): Will I be notified if my topic is approved?
- The moderator team did not believe that this topic adds value to the present body of discussion.
- The moderator team believes this topic has been overly discussed, and wishes not to create more topics of this nature at this time.
- This topic is already being discussed in another active topic.
- This topic would probably be better discussed in your blog. Please see: Where should I Post This?
- The moderator team found no objection to the content – but the post may be difficult to read, unclear, and/or confusing for some members. Please review the Guidelines for New Topics for information on how to write a good topic and then consider revising and resubmitting your topic."
No, but you’ll know it’s been approved when you see it appear online in the discussion forums.
Will the Moderation Team edit my topic before putting it online?
No, they'll either approve it or decline it "as is." They may, however, modify the subject line of your new post in order to clarify the subject of your topic.
I received a general explanation of why my suggested topic was declined, but I would like to argue the merits of my topic and/or receive specific details as to why it was not approved - how can I do this?
The Forum Moderation Team can provide a general explanation of why a topic was declined, but they cannot further debate the specific merits or details of a particular suggestion. Please understand that reviewing topics is a substantial amount of work and while we can't please everyone, we always invite your feedback, so feel free to express your thoughts in a personal message to the Forum Moderation Team at any time.
If you'd like to enter a complaint about topic moderation, please send a message to the forum moderators or the administrator, but public complaints and disputes about topic moderation are not permitted per GAC 4.3.
If you'd like to offer feedback on this system of forum moderation in a public venue, feel free to weigh in on the Administrator's blog here.
<< Return to the Help Index.