Homeschool ALUMNI

Events Forums Members Blogs Job Network Business Directory    

E-Mail:   Pass:   Remember   
Forum Index -> Engineers, Scientists and Mathematicians Discussion page(s) Previous  1, 2, 3

Evolution - how do you deal with it?     Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your take on evolution?
I'm 6-day creation scientist all the way!!
80%
 80%  [ 33 ]
I'm an old-earth creationist.
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
I take a little from both sides.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
I'm a theistic evolutionist.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
I'm an atheistic evolutionist.
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
I haven't decided yet.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I believe in an eternal universe and reincarnation.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Do I care?
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Other (Please post!)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Voted : 24

Thomas Bombardier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 08 8:50 am Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Quote:
Hmm…according to NASA’s Ask an Astrophysicist, the earth is currently rotating at about 23 hours 56 minutes, and 4 seconds per day. Since the earth has been slowing down since it's creation, there has NEVER been a 24-hour day....EVER...YET!

That's a neat program, that "Ask an Astrophysicist"...I never knew about it until coming to NASA myself.

But don't be so sure about your declaration that there has never been a 24-hour day...*chuckles*...you have be very careful about your semantics here.

In one sense, you are right. The earth's rotation period (sidereal day) relative to the stars (which are so far away that they are basically a fixed reference point) is 23 hours, 56 minutes, and 4.096 seconds.1 Its rotation speed is slowing down minutely because of interactions with the moon's gravitational field.

However, the earth's rotation with respect to the sun (synodic day) is 24 hours. This difference occurs because the planet is prograde, meaning (roughly) that its rotation is in the same direction as its revolution. Thus, when the earth has made one full rotation, it's no longer in the exact same position in its orbit and must rotate just slightly farther to obtain the same relative sun location it started with. So the real daylight-day (the one that matters most for us) IS actually 24 hours for now, regardless of the somewhat slower sidereal period.

There have also been circumstances in the past when the earth has undergone longer-than-usual days (at Joshua's and Hezekiah's requests), so I don't think it's quite accurate to say that the earth has NEVER undergone a 24-hour day. Wink

1. Source: Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth's_rotation). I know Wikipedia is not technically a reputable source, but as the information I obtained is easily verifiable from other sources, I find it acceptable for this context.

Victoria CalLady QED
29, California

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 08 1:16 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Hey, Thomas, thanks for jumping in with the difference between synodic and sidereal days. That, folks, is why we have 24 hours in the first place: b/c that's the time from high noon to high noon. Learned that in Math Modeling class this past fall.

Petra Foster
19, West, Texas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 10 6:34 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Has anyone ever heard of Vision Forum's Jonathan Park audio series? It is really entertaining, very educational, and has oodles of good information on the creatin vs. evolution debate. It gives facts that support creationist thinking, while giving information on some evolutionist ideas so you will be prepared for any argument that comes your way.
I would suggest it for anyone who has, or knows, kids +10yr; but the series is good for any age group!

HSA News
Meet Rebecca Giger, 2014 Reunion Communications Director

Reunion Registration Now Open!
(more)

Alumni Spotlight
Nasby Brothers Record Album "Risen"

Sponsors:
MarryWell.org
What is Marry Well?

Shop4HSA:
shop4HSA
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Engineers, Scientists and Mathematicians Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
page(s) Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

About   |   shop4HSA   |   Guidelines   |   Keep HSA Safe   |   Help

Hosted by Arrowtech Hosting
Privacy Statement   |   © 2005-2013 Homeschool ALUMNI