Homeschool ALUMNI

Events Forums Members Blogs Job Network Business Directory    

E-Mail:   Pass:   Remember   
Forum Index -> Photographers Discussion page(s) Previous  1, 2, 3

Photo Critique Thread     Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grace Southern
26, MO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 11 7:25 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

All the detail is exquisite!

Hannah

[HSA Communications Director]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 11 5:05 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Caleb wrote:
Click on image to enlarge it then zoom to enhance detail if needed.

This is my latest knife pic and I would REALLY like to know what you think, as in please tell me what is wrong with it. Thanks! Smile

Lookin' good, Caleb! I like how you can see different sides of the beautiful knife all at once. There's no DOF (which I love), but then I don't know much about knife photography. Smile

Edit -- Ooo! Sudden thought: a black background would make the whole feel more powerful.

Last edited by Hannah on Sun Jun 05, 11 5:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Amelia Protiva
26, Missouri, United States

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 11 6:04 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

I'm just wondering if anybody has some times for the composition and/or lighting of this photo...Thanks!

Yardsley
27, Harrisburg, PA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 11 1:31 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Amelia wrote:
I'm just wondering if anybody has some times for the composition and/or lighting of this photo...Thanks!

It's slightly overexposed. The lack of detail on the silver part of the foil is distracting.
Composition could be improved by changing the angle and balancing the post out more. It's higher on the right side - if both sides were equal it would be a more effective image.

Great depth of focus! I like this shot.

Yardsley
27, Harrisburg, PA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 11 1:36 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Any criticism is welcome.

Caleb
25, Mountain View, MO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 12 1:54 am Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

So tell me, what do you think? =)

Mrs.Awesome
31, Wallingford CT

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 12 9:09 am Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

First - very clear, which I like. Smile I hate fuzzy images.

That said it kinda depends on what you were going for. The fact that the light falls off, but her other eye is still visible is creeping me out a bit. Razz Also - if her face is supposed to be the focal point I would lose the bracelet, it's a little distracting, and her hand would look a little better if you saw the profile of her hand- like so (see opposite hand in this image - sue bryce...)

Overall I really like it though. Smile

Caleb
25, Mountain View, MO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 12 5:02 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Yeah, I would be embarrassed to post an out of focus image. Wink

That makes sense. The right eye is kinda light…. but it was hard for me to not like how it looked even if it is a little off. There is some skin showing below the right eye, so that helps.

The point of the image is to show off the bracelet on a model so that's why it's drawing attention to itself.
I know what you mean about the hand being at a bad angle but after playing around with it for a very long time I went with this because if the hand and wrist were at the skinny angle the bracelet would've been hidden slightly. It's a real visual problem and I couldn't figure it out. Maybe you have an idea or two? =)

Thanks for the critique, I really needed some more feedback from people 'cause I really like this image.

JoshuaDavid
33, PA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 13 10:29 am Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

What do you think of this picture? Any critiques?

http://www.homeschoolalumni.org/photos/index.php?displaypic=7203_64086_923954226885_1294338356_gl.jpg&non_lr=

Sorry about it being a link, I've never uploaded a picture to a forum post before.

Last edited by JoshuaDavid on Thu Aug 08, 13 10:32 am; edited 3 times in total
Mr. Fixit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 13 8:22 am Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Here is a photo I shot early this morning, just before sunrise. The clouds were so beautiful I just had to grab my camera... Smile

Last edited by Mr. Fixit on Wed Oct 09, 13 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Caleb
25, Mountain View, MO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 13 6:01 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

JoshuaDavid wrote:

http://www.homeschoolalumni.org/photos/index.php?displaypic=7203_64086_923954226885_1294338356_gl.jpg&non_lr=

Sorry about it being a link, I've never uploaded a picture to a forum post before.

Wow, that's like... really great.... besides the terible looking effect that pretty much ruins it (imho) and the water is wanting to be nice and smooth instead of rough.... and the whole thing seems dark. It looks like you did some burning too, not sure, either way, it's too much dark. Basically I want to see texture in the rocks and the trees, NOT the water, that needs to be smoother. The composition and the angle of light though is just way kool!

JoshuaDavid
33, PA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 13 8:53 am Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Caleb wrote:
JoshuaDavid wrote:

Wow, that's like... really great.... besides the terible looking effect that pretty much ruins it (imho) and the water is wanting to be nice and smooth instead of rough.... and the whole thing seems dark. It looks like you did some burning too, not sure, either way, it's too much dark. Basically I want to see texture in the rocks and the trees, NOT the water, that needs to be smoother. The composition and the angle of light though is just way kool!

Thanks for the critiquing! I have another version of this without the filter added but the water looks even more rough. Unfortunitly at the time I took this picture I hadn't gotten the manual settings down yet to make the water look smooth.

JoshuaDavid
33, PA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 13 10:23 am Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

http://www.homeschoolalumni.org/photos/index.php?u=7203&display=7203_IMG_6093.JPG&non_lr=1

Last edited by JoshuaDavid on Tue Nov 05, 13 10:27 am; edited 5 times in total
JoshuaDavid
33, PA

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 14 8:10 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Caleb wrote:
JoshuaDavid wrote:

Well I finally think I've gotten the manual settings down. What do you think of this picture Caleb?

http://www.homeschoolalumni.org/photos/index.php?u=7203&display=7203_HD%20Falls%20S.jpg

Last edited by JoshuaDavid on Thu May 08, 14 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
HSA News
The National Reunion in 2015... ?

2014 Reunion Discussion Forum
(more)

Alumni Spotlight
Nasby Brothers Record Album "Risen"

Sponsors:
MarryWell.org
What is Marry Well?

Shop4HSA:
shop4HSA
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Photographers Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
page(s) Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

About   |   shop4HSA   |   Guidelines   |   Keep HSA Safe   |   Help

Hosted by Arrowtech Hosting
Privacy Statement   |   © 2005-2013 Homeschool ALUMNI