Events Forums Members Blogs Job Network Business Directory    

E-Mail:   Pass:   Remember   
Forum Index -> Article Responses page(s) 1, 2  Next

Siblings, Business, and the Homeschooler’s Advantage     Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Camden Spiller
32, Vancouver, WA

[Administrator]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 06 4:02 am Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Siblings, Business, and the Homeschooler’s Advantage
by Camden S.

Click here to read the full article

Questions for Discussion:

What do you think about working with siblings?
Has it worked for you? Any insight to share?
Do you planning on working with your family (siblings, parents, spouse or in-laws) in the future?
Other reflections on this article?

Last edited by Camden Spiller on Mon Mar 13, 06 4:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Rachael
30, Florida

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 06 11:13 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Nicely written. I'm sure most people won't think this, but it occurred to me that there are people out there who hate being "used" for business/profit/free-labor/etc by family members. I would stress involving willing siblings/children and not pressuring those who are not business minded. Of course even that has to be balanced with obedience in younger children and cooperation of lazy siblings. ; ) There is a need for balance in everything. I don't disagree, I just wanted to bring up some other thoughts.

JoshVV
30, Fayetteville, Arkansas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 06 11:27 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Great article Camden! Wink

My brother, sister, and I make a great hail team for all of the reasons you outlined in your article. Very Happy

For example: I'm more of a perfectionist dent guy and I'm great with paperwork, while my brother is a fast dent guy and is good at everything I'm not. If it wasn't for my brother and I splitting jobs 50/50, I'd lose my lunch spending too much time trying to make a car look perfect, and he'd lose his going back and cleaning up the stuff he "missed" while trying to sort out his jumbled up invoices! Razz

And if it wasn't for our sister back home doing all our accounting... We'd both be hopelessly lost when tax time comes around! Laughing

Working with family is great. Wink

Last edited by JoshVV on Mon Mar 13, 06 11:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
AlysonB
31, Rose Cottage Farm in MO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 06 11:36 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Wow Camden, this was a great article! I think you really summed up one of the life-long advantages of homeschooling. I wish I could show this article to everyone that tells me how working in a family business will never work out for us.

Right now I work with my father, brother, and sister-in-law, in our dental office. It is by far the best job I have held. Of course, throughout our years homeschooling, we all worked in various aspects of it. (My mom and brothers are a vital part of the team too, just did not obtain degrees in dentistry.)

Yet, my oldest brother and I choose to go into the field and spent a number of years studying dentistry at college, apart from our natural apprenticeship with the family.

Now that we are together again, I have to say that working with your family all day is great. We really do know what makes the other tick, where our place is, how much we can handle, and can be truly be honest with each other. That takes the stress out of an already stressful job. It really seems like the most natural thing after homeschooling. I worked other jobs and for many different bosses, before choosing to go into dentistry. Yet for the present, I feel the most comfortable with my bosses (over only co-workers), which is really good for open communication.

I would definitely recommend it to other families. I know my younger brothers have no interest in dental, but they have helped tremendously with the technology and just mechanical aspects of running our office.

I even gained a 'sister' who worked for our business and I have to say the fact that we worked together has made us closer.

I say yay, for family businesses. Also, my siblings have been my best friends my whole life, so why would I hope for better co-workers?

Nicole

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 06 10:28 am Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Excellent article, Camden!

Working with my sisters has always worked very well (I'm sure working with my brother will go well, too, he's just a bit young for it at the moment Wink ), both in informal and formal enterprises. It's amazing how we balance each other out.

Currently I run a booth at an antique mall. Although I do most of the work for this, there are times when I need help. I'm not a visual person at all and have a hard time seeing if a certain set up looks appealing or over crowded or the wrong color tone, or what. One of my sisters is very gifted in this area and I can use her as a resource when having problems. This is a relationship that benefits both of us: it helps the booth look better, it helps her develop her talents, and yes, it helps her financially because I'm not a total Scrooge.

At the moment I don't have any definite plans for working with my family in the future, but it's not something I wouldn't do because they're my family. We work well at home, so there's no reason why we can't work well in other situations too.

Families in business together aren't really a new thing; rather, they're something that we once had, but have lost in the last 50 or so years. Wilbur & Orville WRight come to mind: a sibling pair who literally changed history by their closeness. (Side note: This page, http://www.wam.umd.edu/~stwright/WrBr/Wrights.html, has some interesting descriptions of their family... particular bits make me think of homeschooling experiences). They started as bicycle mechanics and went from there. Imagine if they had disdained the thought of working with each other and gone their separate ways...

(Ramblesome and messy post, I know. I blame the packing)

Susie WCIL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 06 5:19 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Hmmm. . .my brother and I are best friends and we work very well together. I've never thought about that from a business perspective, though. We are definitely opposites in a lot of ways, especially when it comes to our strengths and weaknesses. Who knows what could come of this! Wink

Liberty
30, T town

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 06 2:37 am Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

I absolutely love the idea of siblings working together... My sister and I had both our first jobs working together in a kitchen. My sister knew what I was thinking before I even had to say it (and being a short-order cook, having that kind of help was immeasurably valuable!)...

I just recently wrote a business plan where I detailed everyone in our family having a different job duty in running the business... I worked with my dad on the plan though.... and I can say from experience that working with family can also be challenging. Especially when the family-members have strong opinions and personalities, and are hot-tempered (as we Italians tend to be...).
But now that the business plan is completed I'd do it all over again. I learned so much more working with my dad. I also grew and was stretched a lot more than working with strangers who don't know me and know what I am capable of and what I need to be pushed. I honestly believe that if possible, working with family, and especially siblings, presents a vast God-given opportunity and blessing if we can manage to tap into it!

Victoria CalLady QED
29, California

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 06 3:11 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Rachael wrote:
[...]it occurred to me that there are people out there who hate being "used" for business/profit/free-labor/etc by family members. I would stress involving willing siblings/children and not pressuring those who are not business minded.

Definitely a big probelm. Some people try to get loans from family members b/c they can get away with defaulting. It's really sad when people are effectively disowned for not cooperating with a relative's scheme.

Liberty wrote:
...and I can say from experience that working with family can also be challenging. Especially when the family-members have strong opinions and personalities, and are hot-tempered (as we Italians tend to be...)

It ain't just you Italians! We English are pretty bad, too (maybe it's the Scot/Welsh/Irish blood).
Though we are a family, interests, priorities, and values differ greatly. I'm not sure if there's anything we could feasibly do together. Then again, we're always dreaming and throwing ideas back and forth. Maybe one of these eggs will hatch.

Danielle Walker
32, Charleston, SC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 06 8:16 am Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

My siblings and I all have very diverse interests when it comes to our post-education and occupations...however, we are each other's best cheerleaders. Although it wasn't always this way, my siblings are some of my best friends. I am blessed to have such an awesome family.

R Phillips

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 06 9:59 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Well, sometimes it works and sometimes we wish it would work Smile Actually working with my brothers and dad has been a very rewarding experience. I work as a foreman for a framing contractor and my dad and two younger brothers work on my crew. Most of the time this arrangement works out well barring an occasional heat induced meltdown Smile Bottom line, my family are some of the best qualified people that I have had the privilege to work with. It's great to work with people you can trust to do a good job and have your back in any situation. I am blessed to share this season of life with the best people that I know and who I care about more than anything else in the world.

Sarah
30, Ozark, Mo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 06 8:52 am Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

If I had the choice to work with my siblings I would. I trust them with my life they are some of my closest friends.

Amy
29, Arkansas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 06 6:03 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

I work with my dad and brother-in-law (and my younger brother is now working part time) They aren't all my siblings but they are my family. We've grown closer working together everyday and I honestly can't see working any other way, unless independently.

We have each others best interest at heart and we know the way each of us works best. We also know when to stay out of each others way and not say something at the wrong time. Laughing I think that's a great advantage in the working world.

Last edited by Amy on Tue Jun 13, 06 6:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chad Skiles
35, KS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 06 12:53 am Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

I'm not very close to anyone in my immediate family. I must be severely disadvantaged. Sad

John Hudlow
28, Irving, TX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 06 10:08 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

I'm really close to my siblings. I give homeschooling a lot of the credit for that, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

On the other hand, our family really didn't reach out and do things with other families/friends like I might have liked. That's not really the fault of homeschooling, that's just us. Maybe I could have learned not to interrupt when people are talking Embarassed

Diane Phillips (OFC)
56, Thayer, Mo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 06 2:52 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Thanks Camden for bringing this article back to the "front page"
One of the things that I often told my children as they grew up was,
"Be nice to your brother/sister they will be your best friend someday!"

Mary is giving an informative speech next week in COM115 on Sibling Dynamics. I forwarded your article to her as a resource! It would be interesting to hear from more adult sibling groups and how they relate to each other with without parental influence.

For me as the oldest of nine I find that htere is always at least one of my siblings that I can engage with at any time.

HSA News
2014 Reunion Discussion Forum

Meet Rebecca Giger, 2014 Reunion Communications Director
(more)

Alumni Spotlight
Nasby Brothers Record Album "Risen"

Sponsors:
MarryWell.org
What is Marry Well?

Shop4HSA:
shop4HSA
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Responses All times are GMT - 6 Hours