Homeschool ALUMNI

Events Forums Members Blogs Job Network Business Directory    

E-Mail:   Pass:   Remember   
Forum Index -> Photographers Discussion page(s) 1, 2, 3  Next

Photo Critique Thread     Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarah Gale
35, Washington

Posts: 976
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 10 3:44 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

General Guidelines

One image per person per day.

Please keep your critiques kind, courteous, and constructive. If you disagree with a critique you received, please refrain from extensive arguing - state your opinion as politely as possible and leave it at that.

Quote or reference the image you are critiquing so our thread doesn't get confusing.

Nathan
27, Oregon

Posts: 37
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 10 5:02 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

This is a good idea Sarah...

T.J.
31, SoCal

Posts: 748
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 10 1:48 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

I just posted this on the "Photo of the Day" thread, and then I saw this one got started, and figured we could start this thread with this photo just as well as any other. Smile So what have you all to say??? Smile



Sarah Gale
35, Washington

Posts: 976
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 10 2:13 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Thomas (T.J.) wrote:


Thanks for being the first to post!

Nice image. I love night shots and this one is well exposed. One thing that stood out to me is the lettering doesn't seem quite vertical - I rotated it 2 degrees CCW in Photoshop and it looked better to me.

T.J.
31, SoCal

Posts: 748
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 10 12:22 am Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Is that photo the one you rotated? I can't tell the difference between the two. I did notice the vertical thing. The shot I took just before this one was not as straight up and down as this one is. I didn't think of rotating it though, it's a good idea!

Sarah Gale
35, Washington

Posts: 976
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 10 1:04 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Thomas (T.J.) wrote:
Is that photo the one you rotated? I can't tell the difference between the two. I did notice the vertical thing. The shot I took just before this one was not as straight up and down as this one is. I didn't think of rotating it though, it's a good idea!

No, I didn't post the one I rotated.

Sarah Gale
35, Washington

Posts: 976
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 10 1:07 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

I can't decide whether I like this angle or not. What do you think?



Grace Southern
26, MO

Posts: 581
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 10 11:29 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

I like your picture Sarah Gale!

Can you all give me some advise on this photo? What do you think I should do to it to make it better?



Eric Farewell
34, Worldwide

Posts: 508
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 10 2:05 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Sarah Gale wrote:
I can't decide whether I like this angle or not. What do you think?



Sarah, while the pose is okay I often find that too much white in a subject's eyes creates a "creepy" look that is far from attractive.

Consider having her raise her chin and bring her eyes a little bit deeper into the portrait... Should help.

Eric Farewell
34, Worldwide

Posts: 508
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 10 2:07 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Grace Southern wrote:
I like your picture Sarah Gale!

Can you all give me some advise on this photo? What do you think I should do to it to make it better?



Consider re-framing the image to remove some more of the dead area on the right side of the frame. The eye should be drawn from the leading line of the bed, into the interesting texture of the door frame.

My .02

Sarah Gale
35, Washington

Posts: 976
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 10 10:19 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Eric Farewell wrote:
Grace Southern wrote:
I like your picture Sarah Gale!

Can you all give me some advise on this photo? What do you think I should do to it to make it better?



Consider re-framing the image to remove some more of the dead area on the right side of the frame. The eye should be drawn from the leading line of the bed, into the interesting texture of the door frame.

My .02

I agree. This shot would be more powerful from a different angle. I might even try pulling back the fabric out of the shot to expose more of the wooden bed, then step to the left and crouch down a bit more to take the shot. It's fun to experiment with different angles.

Sarah Gale
35, Washington

Posts: 976
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 10 10:26 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Eric Farewell wrote:
Sarah Gale wrote:
I can't decide whether I like this angle or not. What do you think?



Sarah, while the pose is okay I often find that too much white in a subject's eyes creates a "creepy" look that is far from attractive.

Consider having her raise her chin and bring her eyes a little bit deeper into the portrait... Should help.

Thanks, Eric. I agree that the eyes look rather disturbing, which is why I wasn't sure about this angle. I also took a shot with her eyes closed and it seemed to work better, creating a different mood entirely.



Grace Southern
26, MO

Posts: 581
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 10 1:47 am Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Thanks! Those are good ideas! I'll have to experiment with the angles, next time I go there. I can't mess with the blanket though, as the bed is sorta a part of a historical exhibit and we are not aloud to touch it! Sad

gone
69,

Posts: 742
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 10 10:45 am Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team



gone
69,

Posts: 742
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 10 5:43 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Did I kill the thread?? Neutral

HSA News
The National Reunion in 2015... ?

2014 Reunion Discussion Forum
(more)

Alumni Spotlight
Nasby Brothers Record Album "Risen"

Sponsors:
MarryWell.org
What is Marry Well?

Shop4HSA:
shop4HSA
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Photographers Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
page(s) 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

  About   |   shop4HSA   |   Guidelines   |   Keep HSA Safe   |   Help

Hosted by Arrowtech Hosting
Privacy Statement   |   © 2005-2013 Homeschool ALUMNI