Homeschool ALUMNI

Events Forums Members Blogs Job Network Business Directory    

E-Mail:   Pass:   Remember   
Forum Index -> Article Responses

Lessons From Joshua: A generation of God's people coming of age - John Notgrass     Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Camden Spiller
33, Vancouver, WA

[Administrator]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 05 1:29 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Lessons From Joshua: A generation of God's people coming of age
by John Notgrass

Click here to read the full article

Use this forum to discuss your thoughts on this article.

Last edited by on Wed Feb 01, 06 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
AlysonB
31, Rose Cottage Farm in MO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 05 9:48 am Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

I thought John's article was really good. It caused me to reflect on my own life. I think the most profound thing for me was that we should not be asking "Isn't God on our side?", but rather, "Am I on God's side?" All too often I find myself doing this with issues about homeschooling, the family, courtship, the church, and Christians in general. I think we should take heed and realize that we are acting in a proud and boastful way, thinking we have done all the right things or are more pleasing to God than those in the public school. We should try to please Him in the sense of following His commands and attempting to be holy because He is holy, is what He desires. But, we can become arrogant at the same time if not guarding our motivation. It takes humility to explain to others that we are not perfect and only survive each day by God's grace and guidance alone. I also think the warning in Joshua chapter 5 is helpful to learn from. We don't want history to repeat itself. Right now homeschooling is experiencing more freedom and interest than ever before. Something for which I rejoice for everyday. Yet, the battle is still on-going. I want to make sure that my future children can be brought up to enjoy such freedom and that they would pass on these truths to generations after them. I also agree that men are usually responsible for their problems. However, I am thankful there were Godly men( and women) in my life that stepped up to the challenge and struggled through pain and hardship to bring me to where I am today. I think this should be read by everyone on this site and others as well. We as alumni have to step up to the plate now, in all areas of our life, not just if we are raising up our children, but everytime we come into contact with others. Great Job!

Zack Reynolds
28, Fort Collins, CO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 06 10:00 am Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Quote:
I'll go on record and say that men are almost always responsible for the problems we face in families, churches, and societies.

I agree.

Quote:
However, he is not "on our side" in the sense that he approves of everything we do and opposes everyone who disagrees with us.

Oh so true! If only more people realized the truth of this statement...

Bill
26, Alabama/Tennessee Line

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 08 11:26 am Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Excellent! This is the kind of stuff I like to see on HSA!

Thanks

Daniel J. Mount OFC
28, Western North Carolina

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 08 8:52 pm Reply with quote Report this to the Response Team

Quote:
In addition to increasing our numbers, however, we must increase our holiness.

Very, very good point! (One that's very easy to forget.)

HSA News
2014 Reunion Discussion Forum

Meet Rebecca Giger, 2014 Reunion Communications Director
(more)

Alumni Spotlight
Nasby Brothers Record Album "Risen"

Sponsors:
MarryWell.org
What is Marry Well?

Shop4HSA:
shop4HSA
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Responses All times are GMT - 6 Hours